Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YOU HOLD OPPORTUNITY IN YOUR OWN HANDS


I just can’t seem to crack this hard nut who happens to be my nephew. You see he has this idea that his golden opportunity is out there in a faraway rich country. So he wants to leave his job and fly out to his perceived land of milk and honey. I told him that it’s not always true, now he looks at me like I was a two-headed monster from outer space – especially when I said that this much sought after opportunity is already there in him, that he doesn’t have to go far to find it. He still doesn’t get it, he thinks I’m weird. So then where’d he get that idea? --No, not of me being weird lols (but I think I am sometimes lols)… but of seeking elsewhere for that good stuff desired by many. So what’s wrong here? Did school do that to him - or did his parents - or media? Who told him that this opportunity can only be found in a strange foreign land just because your friend has gone there before you, in an unfamiliar job that sucks even if it pays well, in high ranking positions and titles which has ‘corrupt’ attached to its name, or in the connections or ‘padrinos’ we are told we must have? Oh those may have their uses as some of us know but look again please and see that these external things are not the opportunities per se but simply the tools with which opportunity operates to accomplish goals, ambitions, or dreams. One word of caution though – choose wisely your tools okay?

Yes, I’ll say it again it’s already there in you and just waiting to be raised to the fore of your life and be set to work in creating your miracles for you. The opportunity within you is that tough strength you possess in coping with life’s trials and tribulations… the diligence and perseverance you arm yourself with in staying on track despite insurmountable obstacles… the intelligence of discovering creating or paving new ways or roads towards your dreams… the patience and wisdom of knowing that life is indeed tough but that you are tougher. Whatever you possess within you and that which pushes you towards excellence and achievement is that thing called opportunity. It’s right there in you alone. So then why not harness that and get it working for you now instead of pining away for a far-off land which you can’t even be sure would give you your dreams. You alone have the power to make your dreams come true wherever you are whatever you do --- it’s not found outside of you but within. And in case you forget or have forgotten, God put it there!

"The golden opportunity you are seeking is in yourself. It is not in your environment; it is not in luck or chance, or the help of others; it is in yourself alone." - Orison Swett Marden

4 comments:

  1. so inspiring...Ellen!
    believe in the super natural power within u n see the change...
    i do believe... lets get the best out of our selves...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tita! My name is Jan, a friend of Malen way back from college days. We met in yfC. I just want to say you have a nice blog here. One could really use some piece of advice from somebody who has a lot to share in life, like you. Take care po!

    Jan
    www.istethoscope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amit,

    Ah but you are such a dear, always supportive and encouraging to my writings. Thank you for liking the piece. Blessings to you, my dear friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jan,

    I'm pleasantly surprised and so delighted to see you here. :-) But of course I remember you in those YFC days of Malen.

    I hope you enjoyed your cruise down the blog page. Drop by anytime you are free, and leave a message just to let me know that you've been here. I'll reply soonest I can - in here or in your blog.

    Take care. May God continue to bless you and your family.

    Tita Ellen :-)

    ReplyDelete

:-) Here's where I warmly welcome you and where you leave your footprints behind with fond memories attached to it of wonderful chats and friendships. Thank you for your comments. Or send your comments to ellen622@gmail.com. Will be seeing you in your blog too. God bless you!