Sunday, December 21, 2008

EVERY HUMAN BEING HAS AN IMPACT ON ANOTHER


That’s a line I heard from the movie ‘Patch Adams’ which I saw on DVD. I won’t be talking about the movie here although I must say that it was an inspiring and a feel-good viewing experience.

What impact do you have on another? Is it one lovely thing or something opposite it? Because Mom would push this thought on me as I struggled with my angst in high school -- that always there are two things to everything -- Like you can’t enjoy coffee without cream (well, that’s me), or a table without a chair, or drive a car without gas, or have honey without a bee, or live a happy life without some share of sorrow or pain, etc. Life comes in two’s – it may be complementing or otherwise but definitely something is there which tells you that ‘one’ is not really alone, that there’s more to just one.

When you go about your daily business thinking that you’re doing fine by yourself minding your own affairs, think again. Because even by the mere fact of your standing there on the corner waiting for your bus you impact another person who may be merely looking at you or simply passing you by at the least. You may be shaping his thoughts. Because you have your life experiences etched on your face and that is what the other is catching.

Oh some of us may use the milder term ‘impression’ as it looks far appropriate to them. But I would stick to the word ‘impact’ because it best expresses what happens when people collide with each other in this high social traffic called life. People crash, collide, contact with another being going from here to there. Lives intertwine directly or indirectly, visibly or not, or meet at some point or another or leave something behind. This could be very brief, fleeting, or even linger for some amount of time until it is asked to move on by some unknown force.

In that process something happens. Something from you transfers to the other and stays there or vice versa. It forms our thoughts, opens up our eyes, and nudges our hearts.

I was in this party last week, a reunion of old colleagues (a tight group of about 20) from the company I worked with for twenty years. As all reunions are there were plenty of smiles, guffaws, laughter, teasing, nostalgia, and memories for everyone’s picking. And of course – food! While everybody was feasting on a spread of mouth-watering delights I, seated close to the end of the long table, ‘feasted’ my eyes on the people there. My file of memories opened and names instantly popped out. Oh yes, each one had indeed made an impact on my life and had managed to form my thoughts on several things seen and observed in life. I was never the same person with every encounter and experience. Something was shed and something was gained.

Every human being has an impact on another. You can count on that because God did not mean us to live solitary lives. We were meant to collide, crash, touch, link, connect, interact, or impact each other’s lives. Because only with another or each other can we grow into the persons God meant us to be.

With this thought, I would like to say this to everyone here in Blogspot, visible and 'invisible'…

Thank you for coming into my life and helping make it better – making me a better human being to myself and to others. May our magnificent God pour out His blessings a hundredfold upon you and yours this Christmas and through the years ahead.

A MERRY AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

6 comments:

  1. hi Ellen...
    so true n so inspiring post...
    i feel, i have been waiting for this...
    ur posts, topics, r so close to life...
    merry christmas n happy new year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amit,

    There is so much pleasure for a writer to receive comments such as yours. The immense pleasure is in your honest appreciation of the piece, in understanding its essence and reason for its writing. And if it connects with you at some point then the delight is beyond measure.

    Thank you, Amit, for tirelessly following my blogs. The pleasure and honor is mine, dear friend, for you are a treasure. :-)

    May God bless you and your lovely family. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Ellen. I wish you and your family a healthier, wealthier, and wiser 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! :-)

    And I wish you and your family a blessed year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the nicest posts I've read in sometime!

    So so true and something I completely believe in! Every person that comes into your life, however brief the period can be, surely has a role to play, however small it can be. But never does a person/thing go away without doing something to your life.

    Fascinating thought, though :)

    Happy New Year Ellen!

    Am sorry I dropped by late here, but now that I did.. am happy I came :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sindhu!

    Great to see you here :-)) Thank you for your lovely message. I've left a reply in your blog just awhile ago.

    Here's a fond wish for all blessings to come your way in 2009. May our good Lord pour out tons of it so much more than your hands can hold.

    Take care. Be seeing you around.
    A Joyful New year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

:-) Here's where I warmly welcome you and where you leave your footprints behind with fond memories attached to it of wonderful chats and friendships. Thank you for your comments. Or send your comments to ellen622@gmail.com. Will be seeing you in your blog too. God bless you!