Monday, April 2, 2012

WE GROW OLD BY DESERTING OUR IDEALS

Two women were walking past my window and obviously engaged in lively loud chatter. Am amazed really with these ladies how they can talk so loud that you can hear them a mile away. Gosh, you can't keep secrets with that voice! Anyway the lady (let's call her lady#1) suddenly broke the chatter which apparently seemed not to go anywhere and slowing down her steps enough that I was able to catch what she said in Tagalog: .... 'ang bilis ng panahon noh?!'/'how fast time flies'. To which lady#2 replied: .... 'oo nga. eto tumatanda na tayo'/'yes and here we are growing older'.

Growing older. I have heard that said a hundred times by friends and strangers alike. Don't we say that too in our own circles. It has become a cliche -- a convenient local expression of resignation to the passing of time and of life.

Well, some years back I thought I was smart using that cliche to my friends. It sounded smart, like I knew much about 'growing older' or its mysteries and that when you get to be called 'old', it also means that you are wise or wiser. Now I know that's not necessarily so. Oh yes. It's like what Mom would say ... 'not everybody who goes to universities are truly educated in that sense where it matters most.'

Life, my biggest teacher, showed me that -- and to quote Samuel Ulman............

"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
We grow old by deserting our ideals.
Years may wrinkle the skin,
but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul."


Yup that quote packs in such wisdom for both young and old.
May God bless your years with the greatest joys of discovery and wonder.

May your Monday be so blessed to start the week with.

6 comments:

  1. Wah!!"Years may wrinkle the skin,
    but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul."
    What a powerful statement.Ageing is a biological process weakening the body and faculties but it cannot atrophy the soul or the mind that grows wiser if one tries.Though wisdom is not a function of age,the experience can add to wisdom.Growing old gracefulyy and wisely doesn't come by to all except those who strive for it.



    "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Nicely said, KP. I see you're first again with your comment. Thank you for taking time to come by and read. It's truly appreciated. Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. age has not been a real issue to me before Ms.Ellen but when I turned to be a single Mom I did say I am not getting any younger because I am always into looking for a brighter future for my kids..it is not on me getting old and having wrinkled skin anymore..it is on me making sure my kids would be a good and happy life when I grow old..with God's guidance I am sure they will be in safe hands..visiting you po *hugs* ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep the faith. Indeed God has you and your children in the palm of His hands. There are many things I'm not so very sure of in this life. But one thing I do know... that God is faithful to His promises. Know His Word and Promises... find one to keep as your guiding light for all of your life. God will honor your choice. Of that I am sure.

      Blessings to you and your children, Sie.

      Delete
  3. Ellen,

    I fully agree with that quote. Age or years may slow one down physically or mentally but can never rob one of his or her will to achieve what is aimed.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a lovely quote, Jack. One of my big favorites. You are right, it's that special spark within that we should strive to keep alive.

      Take care too.
      Blessings to you and everyone in your home.

      Delete

:-) Here's where I warmly welcome you and where you leave your footprints behind with fond memories attached to it of wonderful chats and friendships. Thank you for your comments. Or send your comments to ellen622@gmail.com. Will be seeing you in your blog too. God bless you!