Wednesday, September 13, 2017

ONE HAS NOT TO BE DEFINED BY THE PHYSICAL CHANGES OF TIME ON OUR BODIES




Image may contain: text


--------
I have a good friend (won't mention her name) who wails everytime on just about anything-everything that aging does to a person. She does make me smile with that and I do understand of course. We all do, don't we? Although nobody wants to talk about age or aging nor be reminded of it, I think it's inevitable and unavoidable. The sooner you make peace with it, the better your life. This brings to mind a post done way back, also for a friend back then. I'm bringing it back to life now for you, dear friend.
---------------------------

.
My dear precious friend,

Got your note. Am fine, thanks. Ah so the job tires you.
.
Maybe that's the reason why your daughter does not want you working again, the job tires you out. Hey, you're supposed to be retired. You know, I'm inclined to agree with her cos at your age it's no longer 'healthy' to be as energetic as a twenty or thirty yr old. Well, I must tell you that unlike before when I could walk miles without a glitch, now I tire easily with very long walks, the reason why I've learned to pace myself.
.
I think that is your daughter's concern over you. It makes sense. Even if you think you feel fit, you cannot ignore the fact that you (and me and countless more in this whole wide world) are traveling down that same road. Age means slowing down, inevitably diminished in physical power and function.
.
BUT ..... what we can take pride in and on is that our minds have retained its power -- never has grown stale nor weak. In fact, our minds have grown to such stature that it now defines us as individuals in our own right. I believe younger minds have bowed down to yours
.
So then let us adapt to these changes -- better for us if we do and better for our respective families who only want to do what is right for us out of great love and affection. Give them credit for such noble familial values. We ourselves, if you remember, have taught them that. Those are the very same things which will be passed on to their children. It will go down to many generations. A legacy -- Love of family. Let it not be said that we as parents have deprived our own children of such wonderful character and values... all because we so foolishly hang on to the illusion that we 'feel young' and want to be treated as so.
.
Who wants to grow old?! I don't. I don't relish the idea of being dependent, hopelessly tied to restrictions that come with age. I don't relish the idea of not being able to run in the vast fertile meadows that I love with the wind on my face chasing butterflies. I don't delight in looking at pills on my plate along with a delicious dish of my favorite morning breakfast. I weary at the thought of the aches and pains in my knees and bones after indulging in an exhilarating enjoyable activity. And to the vanities of women like me, I fear the wrinkles multiplying on my face each year. Most of all, I feel the loneliness of being alone by myself unable to participate in the hustle-and-bustle of the vibrant active life I see in others and once knew. (As a hindsight, we've been there-done that and enjoyed it too, haven't we? Lots of good memories there.) :-)
.
BUT...
.
I write. And there in the writing I renew my strengths. I am eternally young. I soar unfettered by physical wings of flight but rather on wings of awe, discovery, learning, wonderment, and imagination. I am free from this physical body........ unrestrained unshackled unchained. Thoughts dance on print. It takes wings and touches the sky. It glides over wonderlands of magic. It unravels mysteries and reveals truths and carries songs soothing weary hearts. It reveals to me blessings known and unknown. It wraps my heart with love and thanksgiving as it takes me closer to the heart of God... my heart's desire.
.
My dear friend, one has not to be defined by the physical changes of time on our bodies. No matter how uncomfortable it may seem. Rather one must seek to nurture, preserve, and grow that which shapes our person and character. We are defined by the power of our minds and the warmth of our hearts and the strength of our faith. It assures us of immortality by what we think, say, and do with it - by it - for it. Be that person and you will live forever in your children's hearts and on to generations following. Be that person and although it may not take away your aches and pains, fears and loneliness -- it will keep the door of happiness always open to you. And all you have to do is just to step right into that door each time... unafraid.
.
You'll be just fine.
.
Blessings to you and your family.
Have a lovely weekend and life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

:-) Here's where I warmly welcome you and where you leave your footprints behind with fond memories attached to it of wonderful chats and friendships. Thank you for your comments. Or send your comments to ellen622@gmail.com. Will be seeing you in your blog too. God bless you!