Friday, March 4, 2011

HOW MUCH YOU CAN PUT INTO YOUR POT DEPENDS ON YOU

Another friend here requested for this re-post. So then, here it is, fella .....
--------------------------------------------------------------


Do you know that you, me, and everybody else are nothing but pots? Yeah, pots! Or would you prefer to be called a vase or a vessel. Whatever it is that signifies a container meant to hold something, you are it. We all are. But I would like to use the word.. pot.. for this post.

Now what do we do with that? Let me tell you what I did with mine.

I am a pot...

When I was a baby I put in all that was about being a kid. Innocense, pleasure, delight, awe, fun, birthday cakes, warm beds, doggies, and... mommy and daddy. It was great. Everything centered on me and I was everybody's priority. All I had to do was smile my cutest and throw in a tantrum or two to get them to my side pronto. That filled my baby pot.

Then I was ten. I couldn't be a baby anymore although I would have preferred to be as it seemed that mom and dad would always be coming at me to do this and do that. But school was great, had new friends, lots of fun things to do with them, was more aware of my newly found likes and dislikes. I was liking chocolate bars and cakes, coca-cola, nice teachers, field trips to museums, and always loved Sally and Susan -- my cute walking dolls. That filled my pot a notch higher.

Then they called me a teenager. Oh there was much in this new world that I never had before. I discovered that I loved pink, dresses, ladies bags and shoes, adored my first crush next door, enjoyed sketching and designing clothes, delighted in poem-writing, and wrote for the high school paper. That filled my cup two notches higher. Plus another with college that followed.

Then I found myself wearing size 7 high-heeled shoes walking it to a place which looked like an office. I discovered that I was good at making tons of reports -- weekly, monthly, annuallly -- and did some travel, lectures and trainings for new employes, reveled in office camaraderie and events and more. That brought my pot fuller almost to the brim.

Then life turned more adult. What does that mean? Marriage, children, sickness, death, disappointment, sorrow, fear, anger, betrayal, change, challenge, and all the stuff which makes an adult even wish in exasperation for the good years past. My pot now went on full and over.

So to be able to make sense out of all that I thought... I needed to do something. And fast. Or else so much would be lost. All of my history, all that made me, all for nothing if I let something like a full pot have its way.

I emptied my pot.

... and by so doing have made room for insights, perceptions, inretrospection, wisdom which I wouldn't have done being so involved in the living aspects of life. I needed to empty my pot so that new things could come in --- things which made sense of everything that I had gone through. It was there all along simply waiting in the wings for its turn to be inside my pot so that it could do its work.

This is where I believe that everything in our lives, no matter how tiny or insignificant it may be or maybe bigger than what we want it to be, is there for a reason. But reason which cannot reveal itself until or if we don't give it that needed room or space to do so.

To empty our pot makes that possible. An empty pot invites it in. And this would give us all the treasure we may want or hope to acquire. This takes us higher to a better place of self and of understanding life, people, the world, and God. That's right. Whatever we want our day or our life to be, depends on how much we are willing to empty ourselves... and make room for more blessings.

One unknown writer puts it this way....

"We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want." --- (Anon.)

How much you can put into your pot really depends on you.

God bless you.

4 comments:

  1. Ellen,

    It is nice to read it again and keep it in mind that we must keep our mind open to add on all the time.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thought provoking post...thank you so much for sharing this. And God bless you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack,

    I like your words --- "...we must keep our mind open to add on all the time." Indeed we must! Thank you for taking time to drop by. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Theanne,

    And thank you for your lovely visit and for appreciating the piece. And now, just like you in your blog, I'm going to lollygag my way through the day. Lols!! :-) God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

:-) Here's where I warmly welcome you and where you leave your footprints behind with fond memories attached to it of wonderful chats and friendships. Thank you for your comments. Or send your comments to ellen622@gmail.com. Will be seeing you in your blog too. God bless you!