Wednesday, July 27, 2011

START WITH SELF

------------------------
A good friend online sent this to my inbox. Glad that he did because it is one of the most powerful though simple piece of writing I have ever come across.

To quote........

"But where to start?
The world is vast. I shall start with the country I know best, my own.
But my country is very large; I had better start with my town.
But my town, too, is very large.
I had better start with my own street.
No, my home.
No, my family
Never mind, I shall start with myself."

(Elie Wiesel)

Unquote.

It's as simple as that... 'start with myself'. But sadly we don't. Well, not often as we should or must. Funny but we seem to get so much thrill in pointing the task or blame on others. We say ...... It's they who should change, they should do the dirty work, they should stop their bad habits, they should be praying more, they should do the noble and higher goal. It's always --- he, she, they or them.

But where are we in the bigger picture of things? Have we made ourselves part of the change? Are we there where things are happening and not under the cover or safety of our comfortable shells? Are we willing to take risks for a better life for self and the family, home, street, town, country? Do we bite our tongues rather than speak out when we should? Do we crumble at the merest pressure? Do we hesitate in writing down our thoughts on something controversial yet which we believe is true? Do we turn the other way when we see crooked practices from men and women of religion, position, and uniform? Do we simply look with distance and disinterest at cruel and unfair practices of man towards man... or man towards animals... or man towards the environment?

You want a better world, country, town, street? --- Start with self. A good person creates a good family and home, is a good influence to the neighborhood on the street where he lives. This in turn makes for a good community. A good community creates a good town. Many good towns create a good country. And hopefully many good countries create a better world.

Isn't this what we really .. really want? To get that -- we, as somebody once said before, need to be the change we want to see in our world.

10 comments:

  1. 101% true Ellen!

    people always tell you that one person cant change the dirty system..what they forget is that its always the power of one man's intention which works for Revolutions....so yes one man matters if his intention is pure and honest...we can make this world a better place if only we honest with ourselves if not with others...if every body does his duties right there is no way we cant give our upcoming generations a better place to live!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautifully said, Mishi. And this is correct.... "..if every body does his duties right there is no way we cant give our upcoming generations a better place to live!!!"

    Love it everytime you come with your insights to the subject at hand. It's appreciated.

    Take care and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is like a man wanting to focus on God and seeking the solitude of a forest from the busy town. It doesn’t help for “Wherever you go, there you are.” Changing the circumstances or the people around or the world at large may not be the key. Instead turning inward and working on ourselves may be the solution for each one of our issues be it seeking God or controlling our undesirable traits or bettering our life.A nice post again from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Are we willing to take risks for a better life for self and the family, home, street, town, country?

    Hi Ellen, first let me tell that we indeed need to be the change we want to see in the world..

    And taking risks is important and most of the times the first step to a huge success..

    Well said and nice observations too..

    Best wishes..
    Prams

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! For years I listened to my mother and sister complain about family friends and neighbors, complain about the country the environment and on and on and on. I finally stopped being part of these conversations because they were doing nothing to help any of the situations they complained about! You're right you have to start with the lowest one on the totem pole...yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again, KP, for sharing your thoughts. :-) Delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Prams ---- "..And taking risks is important and most of the times the first step to a huge success.." You've said it well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Theanne, I found myself in that same boat before. And just like you I've stopped listening to all that empty talk. Better to try do what-we-can where-we-are with who-we-are. A little can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellen,

    Right it is. If we wish to bring in a change in anything we need to start with ourselves first. If I wish to see our country corruption free, I must first stop giving bribes, no matter what the results be.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. "If I wish to see our country corruption free, I must first stop giving bribes, no matter what the results be." -- That's a strong statement.. one which I wish would be on everybody's lips.

    Good one, Jack. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

:-) Here's where I warmly welcome you and where you leave your footprints behind with fond memories attached to it of wonderful chats and friendships. Thank you for your comments. Or send your comments to ellen622@gmail.com. Will be seeing you in your blog too. God bless you!